Monday 17 March 2014

Life, choices and decisions

Okay, so here I am, at my English midterm, I finished writing my assignment about 20 minutes ago and have read through it several times now, and I have 2 hours and 12 minutes left of the test-time, sure I could leave now, but I can’t bring my stuff with me, so that’s not really that much of an option… Instead I think I’ll write a blog, well technically I know I will, because I am doing so. And unlike some, not saying any names here, I’d like to challenge myself a bit, so not just write about what happened to me the other day, even though our school-party thing was awesome for me too. Last year I wrote a blog after finishing my English test, and I believe I wrote about memories and my childhood and stuff like that. But this year I’ll write about something else, I think I’ll write about choices.

My Danish teacher has started a thing, where she every once in a while chooses someone to write a blog for a class’ Danish blog - and a while back one of my classmates wrote what might be one of my favourite things on there - he wrote a blog about making choices, big and small, and what I especially liked was his description of the ‘not-choice’ - the choice of doing nothing, some of is do this more than others, and no, wearing a shirt that says “I’m allergic to decisions” is no excuse to not make choice in your everyday life as well as in the bigger perspective!
The reason Thomas wrote his blog, and the reason it inspired me to write this one, is that at the moment we have to make a lot of choices, we’re faced with a lot of decisions that needs making. In three and a half months we’ll be done with all our exams, and we’ll have to apply for further education - or figure out what else we want to do, or choose the not-choice and do nothing. We need to start looking at places to live, well by now, we should’ve started looking at places to live, unless we choose the not-choice and stay home with mom and dad. Personally I’ve already made a lot of choices, I’ve decided which educations I want to apply to and when I’ll do so. I’ve decided what kind of apartment I want and I’ve started looking, I’ve started to hoard stuff for moving our as well. These are some of the bigger decisions that has needed making in my life, and in the lives of all my friends. And with all of them there’s as mentioned the optioned to choose nothing, and just see what life brings you.
Then there’s the smaller, everyday decisions, that we’re all faced with all the time, things like “what should I cook for dinner” or “should I write that assignment today or wait till tomorrow?” decisions that we can easily let slip and choose not to make, but I like to think it’ll come back to you at some point, if you choose not to decide what to have for dinner - someone else will and it might not be what you wanted, and if you choose not to decide when to do the assignment you’ll be sitting with on the last day before handing it in.

I am not the best at choosing, but I am far from the worst. I choose quite early on how I feel about people, and it might be harsh, but it’s rarely changed. I like to spend time choosing my words before saying or writing them etc. etc.
I and I’ve chosen not to write too much more about choices, but it like to try to give some advice:
Make choices, the longer you wait the worse things get, and of course you should take other people into consideration, but sometimes you need to choose for yourself first. You really can’t let everyone make your decisions for you.
I know, it feels as if I’m yelling “take a stand!” and maybe I am, but just consider what you’d prefer, making choices now and being able to look back and say “I actively chose this” or waking up one morning in five years and thinking “I never decided to be here…” don’t just go where the current takes you - or where mom tells you to go.


Oh well, enough now, Sidsel out!

No comments:

Post a Comment